Mera in Pictures

Mera 2012 Team

Mera 2012 Team

Many of the readers of this blog were present on Friday night when the team presented their pictures at the “Mountain Night” in Fennescey House.

Those who missed it can see the pictures from the presentation at

If you are inspired to tackle a Mountain in Nepal and would like to receive any information about a Centacare adventure in 2013 please email Bernie on


Adventures from the Mountains of Nepal (Mera Peak and Great Himalayan Trail)

You are invited to a presentation from our staff members, volunteers and fundraisers who have recently been involved in two epic Himalayan adventures.

The Presentation will be at Fennescey House, 33 Wakefield Street Adelaide, on Friday June 22nd at 6.30pm.

Please RSVP to Bernie


Invitation to Mountain Night

Invitation to Mountain Night



All six members of the Centacare Mera Peak Challenge team are now safely home, weary but proud of their achievements.

Plans are underway for an evening presentation of video, slides and stories so that the team can share their experiences with friends and family and perhaps correct any innaccuracies which may have crept into these posts. More information will follow.


In case you don’t recognise the new slim bodies the team is, from left to right: Margie, Warwick, Janice, Di, Frank and Dom

Rest and Recovery

The team is now safely back in Kathmandu. After a short walk from Chutanga down to Lukla on Saturday morning they had a leisurely day followed by the first of a number of celebratory dinners.

Sunday’s flight from Lukla to Kathmandu was mercifully uneventful. In a less than an hour’s flying time the team were transported from the fresh cool air of an isolated mountain village to the warm and humid chaos of Nepal’s capital.

Afternoon activities were segregated according to Dom. Margie, Di and Janice were off shopping while Warwick, Frank and Dom headed for a shave. Frank was allegedly also lining up for a manicure.

Last night they were heading for another celebration dinner in one of the many excellent

Around the pool at the Shanker

restaurants near the Shanker Hotel, before spending a couple more days rest and relaxation around the pool in the gentile surrounds of the Shanker.

Margie is on an earlier flight and should be back in Adelaide at 8.10am on Tuesday morning (Singapore  SQ279). The others are due in on Thursday morning, also at 8.10am.

Thank you readers for your support of Centacare’s Mera Peak Team 2012. Many messages of support were relayed to the team and were most appreciated when the going was at its toughest. Your donations for Auricht House are also most appreciated.

If the team’s adventures have given you the taste for a similar challenge then contact me at  – Centacare’s Mera Peak Challenge 2013 is now being considered.


Dom Support Dominic Reppucci Di Support Di Walker Frank Support Frank Favaro
Janice Support Janice Watt Warwick Support Warwick Bowden Support Margie Anderson


Even Goats Wouldn’t Go Where We Went

The team is safely at Chutanga, having made it across the pass at Zatwa La, and are now in sight of Lukla.

Sounds easy. It wasn’t.

At the best of times Thuli Kharka can be described as desolate and I don’t think last night was the best of times. The snow set in during the afternoon and continued till midnight. As the snowfall continued the decision was made to move everyone out of their tents, which were in danger of collapsing under the weight, and into the stone lodge building.

This morning the team rose to a world covered in snow and ice, and began the daunting 300m climb up to the pass. Ropes were needed to get the team over the pass on a track which Dom was certain even goats wouldn’t attempt.

Warwick then took up the commentary and described the descent, a steep 1600m decline that is usually covered in loose rubble but today was spiced with ice and snow. Multiple falls and the odd bruise followed. Janice reportedly performed a triple somersault with pike that earned 10/10 from the Russian judge. Frank, Dom and Marg allegedly slid the last kilometre to camp on their bums.

After a gruelling 8 hour day though the team were set for a celebration tonight. The worst is over, civilisation (or Lukla at least) is just a 3 hour walk away tomorrow, the air is thicker and there are no more hills to climb.

………and we are now taking bookings for Mera Peak 2013.


Still Hills to Climb

The adrenaline might have faded as our team leave Mera Peak behind but there is still work to be done.

Last night they stayed at Tashing Dingma after a 3 hour walk from Mosom Kharka. Today they will climb 3oom to the gloriously named Thuli Kharka at about 4300m. Leaving another 300m climb on Friday over the high pass at Zatrwa La.

I had the chance to talk briefly to Di last evening. She was still weary from the climb and glad that yesterday was a short day. She spoke about the fantastic views from the summit but also how lucky they were to get a brief clear window on top of Mera. By they time they were heading down, the snow and wind had returned and visibility was again poor. While Di reported that there were no problems with altitude  sickness she did warn that they will not be pretty sights with their windburnt swollen faces and burnt cracked lips.

With the usual caveat about difficult communication and the poor quality of my maps – this is a picture of a plot of the team’s progress on my wall :


Position as of Thursday May 3

More of the Story

I know some followers of this blog have been unable to see the official Adventure Consultants dispatches ( From the AC site we have just received Mark’s first dispatch since the Summit so I have reprinted it here in full – it gives a much better picture of the summit attempt than I have been able to give with the information received over our satellite link. As I read it I was filled with even more admiration for what each member of the team had achieved.



Whew, what a few days. I apologize for not updating the dispatches, but we have been preoccupied with climbing a mountain.

Mark, Di and Janice on the summit of Mera Peak

As I mentioned in my previous dispatch we were indeed due to head to high camp. We set off in clear conditions, full of beans and anticipation of what lay ahead. We passed over familiar territory from our previous acclimatisation walk and soon we were into new ground, on the glacier, walking between huge crevasses happily traipsing along in our mountaineering boots and crampons. Life was good!

Soon though the wind started to rise. Clouds gathered. Snow began to fall.

Before we knew it we were in a full blizzard. We were at Mera La pass, 5450m, we still had 400m to climb. Visibility was down to near zero, the temperature had plunged and the wind was close to gale force. We had some choices to make. Our team had split into two by now, a fast group and a slow group, 3 and 3. I had to make a difficult decision and now was the time to make it. I gathered Dominic, Frank and Margaret together and half shouting into the wind I told them that they had to go back. Reluctantly they agreed and the last I saw of them was them disappearing into the clouds being led by Nema Sherpa on the way back to base camp.
After some time I managed to catch up with the faster group, Warwick, Di and Janice who were being led by Singi Sherpa, the conditions hadn’t improved but we were warm and moving steadily higher…..and higher….and higher. The hill seemed to go on and on forever into the clouds. The air was thin and our legs screamed for a break, but we couldn’t stop, it had to be so close. Eventually it did arrive, high camp, our safe refuge. The weather had by now eased slightly but we were all exhausted and extremely pleased to see our mountain solace. We were now at 5900m. It was 4pm and we had 9 hours to rest and recover in order to push onto the summit.

But rest we did. At least as best we could as very strong wind gusts battered our tents throughout the night. As it inevitably does, time moved on, and the light became dark, we ate what we could on a stomach that wanted nothing to do with food. Sleep was difficult to come by and the anticipation was high.

1am. I leapt out of my sleeping bag to have a look at the conditions, well I say leapt, but it was around minus 20°C and at close to 6000m, it was more like a struggling crawl. But look I did and I was greeted by the welcome scene of glistening pin pricks in the inky blackness, stars. Clear weather. It was on, it was time to move.

Well, 2 hours later anyway, of struggling with harnesses and boots and crampons we set off into the darkness.

The footsteps we followed led off, upwards towards the stars into the black. Our world only being within the pool of light emanating from our headlamps. Oxygen at this height is scarce and our lungs heaved and legs burnt. The extreme cold pierced our extremities and doubt pierced our thoughts. Why carry on? The rope we were tied to never seemed to relent to slope remained constant, the cold intense.

It was now that Warwick decided that he didn’t want to go on. He had put in a huge effort to get to high camp and he acknowledged that his body didn’t have it in it. There was no gas in the tank. It was a wise decision and not one taken lightly.

So now it was Di, Janice, Singi and Sherku Sherpa, and myself. Still moving upwards. Moving upwards towards the beckoning stars, looking within to somehow find the strength to carry on. Was it worth it.

The hope began to rise in the eastern sky. First as a silhouette , then a burning glow. The sun was rising over the greatest mountains on the planet. Soon Everest, Makalu, Cho Oyu and countless others were framed by a golden sky. As the sun rose hope rose within us. This was possible.

The slope never relented, but to be able to see at least to the top of the next rise made the task at hand seem achievable.

False summits dashed our hoped several times and the seeds of doubt began to creep in again, but then there it was, the summit. One last long slope. Exhaustion screamed within our bodies, begging us to turn back, but the mind remained strong and at 8am, 5 long hours after setting out from high camp we stood on the top of Mera Peak.

We had done it.

The views from here were phenomenal. The highest mountains on earth stretched out before us. The steepness of the peaks seemed to defy gravity and the valleys seemed carved by some giant hand. There was elation and relief all round. The pain had stopped and the summit achieved.

One could stand here, silent. In a place where humans shouldn’t be and feel the privilege of this place. This was a moment that would remain with us until we die. And it seemed that when we died that this would be the place that our soul might come, such was the beauty.

The descent was inevitable, and down we went. The downward slope passed beneath us and hours rolled by. In a haze of exhaustion we passed through high camp. Rested and carried on to base camp. Clouds rolled in, snow flakes fell. We slipped on rocks. We walked, sat, talked, smiled, slumped and struggled. Then 32 hours since we had left, we wandered back into base camp. The others who had turned back were there to greet us with elated hugs, kisses and handshakes.

We had done it. Home safe.

That was 2 days ago now. I am currently sitting in the oxygen rich air, in the sunshine in Mosom Kharka (the Ewok village) back down valley. The group has gone ahead towards Tashing Dingma. We are all pleased to be descending and enjoying the warmth after our efforts up high. There is some obvious disappointment from some that the summit wasn’t reached by all, but we are all circumspect about the condition.

Mountains are the great humblers of the world, and Mera Peak is certainly no exception.

Janice and Di are extremely pleased with their achievement , but I think will only really appreciate when they can get home again and recover properly as fatigue still plagues their bones.

A special mention has to be made to Singi and Sherku Sherpa, who without them it would have been far more difficult. In fact they seem to wander along whistling all the way. The Sherpa people continue to amaze us with their strength and patience.

Well, I must head off into the sunshine to catch up with the group. I will write some more soon about our descent. We have a couple of easy days ahead and then 1 long day over the Zatra La pass back to Lukla and our flight back to Kathmandu, and a shower, on the 6th.

So, finally, until tomorrow

Mark and the team

Thick Air and Clean Socks

From top: The jumble of boulders on the floor of the Hinku Valley, The welcome sight of Kote, Clean socks!

Tuesday was an interesting day for the team. The departure from the Mountain would have been accompanied by a range of sometimes conflicting emotions. The quiet satisfaction of achievement, the wonder at their bodies capacity to cope with extreme challenges, perhaps regret at leaving Mera with some things not done, some sights not seen, the physical exhaustion and mental weariness that comes after such a trial, a stirring of excitement about coming home to family and friends and deep gratitude to those around them who helped make this possible.

From Base Camp at Kore the team headed back down the river valley, did not stay at Tangnag, and continued to Kote (Mosom Kharka). The air felt thicker, the conditions warmer and the village felt like a luxury hotel with the possibility of washing clothes, warm showers and a day of rest with no acclimatization walks.

Some time today they will sit down with Mark and look at what comes next and realise that it is not all downhill from here. To get back to Lukla they will need to climb over the pass at Zatrwa La, a tough but spectacular trek. But that is tomorrow’s challenge. Today they rest, reflect and recover.


Back to Base

Mera Peak - Central

All team members are now safely back at base camp (Khare).

For the three on the mountain, Janice, Di and Warwick, the day started at 1am. They set out from High Camp after a fitful sleep and headed into the dark towards the summit. Warwick turned back about an hour out from High Camp at around the 6000m mark. Janice and Di pushed on to the summit and were rewarded with beautiful clear skies and views in every direction. Janice said she could see everything – and everything includes Everest.

They made good time coming down and were back to base camp by 4pm (Nepal time). Janice said it was a wonderful experience but that they were absolutely exhausted. The phone link was, as usual, scratchy and intermittent but I suspect I could hear the beginnings of a celebration in the background.

The plan for tomorrow is to sleep as long as possible, then depart in a leisurely fashion, heading back down the valley for 4-5 hours. That may well have them back in the relative comfort of Kote tomorrow night.




The view from the summit

Through the Adventure Consultants expedition updates we have received news that the team (with Dom, Frank and Margie being back at Base Camp we assume this means Janice, Di and Warwick with Guide Mark) have reached the summit of Mera Peak. The news of great views and weather suggests good conditions for the descent. Congratulations to all for their endevours at these altitudes – nothing is easy up that high. We look forward to more news when the team is settled at camp.

For those not receving the AC updates ( ) the Summit Message reads:

We have just now heard from guide Mark Morrison from the summit of Mera Peak.
With great views and amazing weather for climbing his team made great time from their high camp to the top at 6476m.

Mark will be back down at high camp later today and will hopefully be able to provide a full account of their day.

Congratulations to all.


2012 Mera Peak Key Supporters

Centacare Adelaide

Centacare Adelaide

Mera Peak Recent Posts

April 2017
« Jun    

Enter your email address to subscribe to the 2012 Mera Peak Challenge blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 47 other subscribers